Nurse Practitioner Schools in California
Earning a Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) can lead ambitious California nurses to a rewarding career as a nurse practitioner (NP). This advanced practice nursing role allows nurses to take on leadership duties within their scope of practice, which can include specialties such as pediatrics, women's health, and more. With online and campus-based program options, entering this in-demand career pathway is a very real possibility.
Keeping the following key items in mind when researching nurse practitioner programs can help prospective students find the right fit:
- Accreditation – Approved nurse practitioner programs will be accredited by well-respected organizations such as the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Proper accreditations show that these programs are held to rigorous academic standards.
- Program Cost – MSN and DNP nurse practitioner programs in California run approximately $600-$800 per credit hour, on average. This number can fluctuate based on location, school, specialty, and more. Aside from tuition, students will also need to factor in additional costs for things like textbooks, program fees, and other mandatory expenses.
- Program Length – As most NP programs require students to have already completed a BSN, master's level degrees can take roughly 2-3 years to complete. DNP programs will take closer to 4 years, though part-time or full-time attendance can significantly affect the total program length for both degree types.
- Internship/Externship Opportunities – Nurse practitioner programs require that students complete a minimum number of clinical hours. Many schools help students secure the internship/externships needed to fulfill this requirement, and can provide students with a pre-approved list of area hospitals and facilities.
- Online/Campus Options – Online advanced nursing programs have been steadily rising in popularity due to the busy schedules of today's nurses. Traditional, campus-based programs are also available, as are ‘hybrid' programs which allow students to take a select portion of the coursework online.
Students will typically find the following admissions requirements in California:
- BSN degree from an accredited college/university
- Official copies of all undergrad transcripts
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Copy of active RN license
- Current resume
- A written statement of educational and professional goals
- Three professional letters of recommendation
Certification for most of the nurse practitioner specialty areas can be obtained through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Generally, applicants must hold an active RN license and have completed a graduate-level nursing program in an applicable specialty.
The California Board of Registered Nursing certifies advanced practice nurses, to include nurse practitioners. Eligibility requirements include:
- Hold a current California RN license
- Have graduated from an accredited nurse practitioner program
- California Association for Nurse Practitioners
- California Nurses Association
- American Nurses Association – California
While you can find a complete list of California NP programs below some folks would find it useful to search by specialty. Please consider the following California NP program specialties:
- California Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Programs
- California Family Nurse Practitioner Programs
- California Neonatal Nurse Practitioner Programs
- California Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Programs
- California Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Programs
- California Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs
California is an excellent state to enter an advanced nurse practitioner program, as it has numerous options for both MSN and DNP pathways. With the profession expected to grow by 31% through 2024, gaining a graduate-level nursing education is a great way for nurses to fulfill the demand for highly skilled nurse practitioners.
Azusa, CA 91702
- Doctor Of Nursing Practice, Across the Lifespan/Family Nurse Practitioner Hybrid
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Hybrid
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Hybrid
Irvine, CA 92618
Loma Linda, CA
Loma Linda, CA 92350
Long Beach, CA
- Family Nurse Practitioner Specialty Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Specialty Campus
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Specialty Campus
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Across the Lifespan) Specialty Campus
Long Beach, CA 90840
Los Angeles, CA
- Post Master's Certificate in Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP) Specialty Certificate Campus
- Post Master's Certificate in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP): Adult Specialty Campus
- Post-Master's Certificate for Psychiatric/Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist Campus
Los Angeles, CA 90032
Oakland, CA 94609
(180) 060-7637 x7
Rohnert Park, CA
San Diego, CA
San Diego, CA 92182
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, CA 94132
- Family Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist - Critical Care/Trauma Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist - Oncology Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Neonatal Nursing Campus
- Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Campus
San Francisco, CA 94143
San Jose, CA
San Marcos, CA
- Post MSN Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate Campus
- Post MSN Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Certificate Campus
San Marcos, CA 92096
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.