Nurse Practitioner Schools in Connecticut
Nurses in Connecticut looking to advance to the role of nurse practitioner (NP) can opt for one of the state's Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) or Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program pathways. These degrees allow nurses to enter the coveted world of advanced practice nursing, and many programs allow students the option to choose between a variety of NP specialties, including family nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, and more. With online and campus-based program options, becoming a nurse practitioner has never been easier.
Choosing the right nurse practitioner program is an important task. Prospective students should take the following considerations under advisement before deciding on a school:
- Accreditation- Proper accreditations come from well-respected organizations such as the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). These accreditations show that a program is up to standard on its academics and offerings.
- Program Cost- Connecticut NP program tuition ranges from around $650 all the way up to $1,000 per credit hour, depending on school, location, and degree level chosen. Overall, DNP level programs tend to be more expensive than MSN programs, as the DNP pathway requires more credits. Tuition fees typically don't include mandatory expenses such as course materials, lab fees, and other program fees.
- Program Length- Generally, MSN programs require around 40-50 credits and can take roughly 3-4 years to complete. DNP programs require up to 90 credits and can take 3-4 years from start to finish. Part-time or full-time study can affect the total length of both types of programs.
- Internship/Externship Opportunities- Clinical hours are a requirement for both master's and doctoral NP programs. Most schools have relationships with area hospitals and medical centers where students can complete their hands-on training, and are happy to help students arrange these internship/externship opportunities.
- Online/Campus Options- While campus-based programs are still widely available, online programs are being offered much more frequently due to their convenience and flexibility. Hybrid programs are also starting to pop up; these programs allow students to take some courses online and some in a traditional classroom.
Students will typically find the following admissions requirements in Connecticut:
- BSN or higher from accredited university
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Professional resume
- Copy of current Connecticut RN license
- Two letters or recommendation
- Personal statement/essay
- Completed application
Certification for most of the nurse practitioner specialty areas can be obtained through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). Generally, applicants must hold an active RN license and have completed a graduate-level nursing program in an applicable specialty.
To become licensed as an advanced practice registered nurse, students must apply through the Connecticut Department of Public Health. Eligibility requirements include:
- Hold a current Connecticut RN license
- Hold and maintain current certification as a nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, or nurse anesthetist from an approved national organization
- Have successfully completed 30 hours of education in pharmacology for advanced nursing practice
- Hold a graduate degree in nursing in an applicable advanced nursing specialty
- The Connecticut Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Society
- Connecticut Nurses Association
- Connecticut Association of Nurse Anesthetists
Becoming a nurse practitioner is an excellent way to earn more money and help to bridge the gap of the nursing shortage. The profession is slated to grow by 31% through 2024, making the job outlook excellent for the foreseeable future. Connecticut is home to world-class nurse practitioner programs in a variety of sub-specialties.
Find Nurse Practitioner Programs By City:
1073 North Benson Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
Sacred Heart University
5151 Park Avenue
Fairfield, CT 06825
Southern Connecticut State University
501 Crescent Street
New Haven, CT 06515
University of Connecticut
231 Glenbrook Rd
Storrs, CT 06269
University of Saint Joseph
1678 Asylum Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
(186) 023-2457 x1
Graduate Certificate Programs
400 West Campus Drive
Orange, CT 06477
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.