Nurse Practitioner Schools in Virginia
With healthcare a growing field, many nurses are looking for opportunities to grow their careers. Advanced practice registered nurses, including nurse practitioners (NPs), enjoy the benefits of taking on more responsibilities, entering leadership roles, and earning higher salaries. Nurse practitioners in Virginia can enter into a variety of specialized roles, and can even offer primary care services to patients.
- Accreditation- Nurse practitioner programs are typically accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). Virginia boasts over 20 advanced level nurse practitioner programs.
- Program Cost- Tuition costs can fluctuate based on factors like location, school, and degree level. Virginia residents can expect to pay $500 to $700 per credit hour, with up to 50 credits required for an MSN-level degree, and around 80 credits for a doctoral degree.
- Program Length- Most graduate level nurse practitioner programs require a BSN in order to enroll. ADN-level nurses can take a two-year bridge program to get up to the BSN level. MSN programs can take 2-3 years to complete, while DNP programs can take 3-4 years, depending on full-time or part-time attendance.
- Internship/Externship Opportunities- Nurse practitioner programs require a certain number of clinical hours to complete the degree. Many schools have relationships with hospitals and medical centers in the area in which students can complete internship/externship clinical rotations.
- Online/Campus Options- Schools offering nurse practitioner programs are increasingly offering both online and campus-based options to suit the needs of a variety of potential students. There are also "hybrid" options in which students complete a large portion of the coursework online, but also attend some lectures and labs on campus.
For most MSN/DNP nurse practitioner programs in Virginia, students must meet the following criteria:
- Hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from an accredited institution
- At least one year of prior clinical nursing experience
- Current, active RN license
- GPA of 3.0 or higher typically required
- GRE or similar tests may be required if minimum GPA is not met
- Have prior work experience as an RN/ APRN
- Submit transcripts from all colleges attended
- Letters of recommendation and/or a personal essay may be required
Virginia nurse practitioners are eligible to become certified in the nurse practitioner specialty of their choice (such as nurse midwife, family nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, and more) upon completion of the correlating NP program. In order to receive the certification, the NP must pass the credential examination, typically offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
According to Virginia law, nurse practitioners, certified nurse midwives, and certified registered nurse anesthetists must be licensed as such by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Requirements for licensure include:
- Current Virginia RN license
- An official transcript from a graduate degree program in an advanced practice nursing program, sent directly from the educational institution
- Transcripts must be sent from the graduate school directly to the board
- Submit a completed application
- Virginia Nurses Association
- Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners
- Virginia Organization of Nurse Executives and Leaders
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
With this sought-after career on the rise, and expected to grow by 31% in the next few years, it's no wonder why many nurses are looking into NP programs. Luckily, Virginia is rising to the occasion by offering a bounty of accredited and well-respected nurse practitioner programs.
- BSN to DNP: Family NP Campus
- BSN to DNP: Adult-Gerontology Acute Care NP Campus
- BSN to DNP: Neonatal NP Campus
- BSN to DNP: Pediatric NP: Acute Care Campus
- BSN to DNP: Pediatric NP: Primary Care Campus
- BSN to DNP: Psychiatric-Mental Health NP Campus
- Family NP Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care CNS Campus
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care NP Campus
- Pediatric NP - Primary Care Campus
- Psychiatric-Mental Health NP Campus
Charlottesville, VA 22903-3388
Fairfax, VA 22030
Norfolk, VA 23529
- Family nurse practitioner Campus
- Adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner Campus
- Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner Campus
Richmond, VA 23298
- BSN-to-DNP: Family Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Post Graduate DNP: Family Nurse Practitioner Campus
- BSN-to-DNP: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Post Graduate DNP: Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Campus
- Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Graduate Certificate Campus
- Psychiatric Mental-Health Nurse Practitioner Initiative Campus
- Psychiatric Mental-Health Nurse Practitioner Post-Graduate Certificate Campus
Winchester, VA 22601
Are we missing your school's program or need to update information listed? Please contact us so we can make the necessary changes.